Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Updates in our World...

Wow, the life of a new mom is busy. Of course, my tiny baby is now 5 months old. :) We are firmly entrenched in cloth diapering, breastfeeding, and lots of other stuff around here. It's been pretty exciting!

My current project (and actually, my project in an ongoing manner since right before Rebekah was born) is making and sewing my own cloth diapers. I started with free patterns I found on the internet, and modified them as I went along. I just didn't like the way they fit, and I thought I could get a better fit.

Success! My latest design fits very well. It even fits other babies very well, as I've had 7 other people try it out, on all different size babies. That's right -- product testing! I'm looking to sell, I think.

Here are the modifications I made: I shortened the rise (I like the diaper to fit below the belly button, around the hips), narrowed the crotch, narrowed the front (I don't see any reason for the front of the diaper to tuck in around the baby -- it only needs to be wide enough that it fits well), and squared off the tabs. I think all of this give me a better fit. Rebekah's pretty long and thin (she as 24.5" and 12 lbs. 2 oz. at 4 months, and I am estimating she is close to 27" and 14.5 lbs. now) and the diapers fit her great (to be fair, this design also fits my friends' very chunky babies too!).

In the next week or so, I'm going to share a tutorial about how to make my diapers. You'll be able to see the general pattern, and also how to attach cloth tabs. I'm pretty excited about it! And hey -- if you'd be interested in buying one to try out...we're almost there. :)

No comments: